How to choose a thesis topic for Civil Engineering
Many civil engineering aspirants opt for Ph.D. Civil Engineering after attaining their Master’s degree. During their time under the doctorate, students are required to prepare a research paper on their chosen civil engineering project topic. Many decisions encompass a research paper, and students are always in a dilemma when it comes to selecting a civil engineering project topic.
Significance of the right Civil Engineering Project topic for your thesis.
Once you choose a civil engineering project topic, you will have to commit to it for as long as your paper takes to get ready for presenting to your professors. Writing a paper on a civil engineering project topic requires in-depth research, analysis, and dedication to your study. The huge investment of time and energy makes the decision making of the civil engineering project topic, a serious consideration. Moreover, your doctorate depends majorly on the civil engineering project topic that you pick, and therefore it can become a life-changing decision for many. You cannot start your research without planning, and choosing the right civil engineering project topic is the first step for the same.
Civil Engineering Project topics- Must Haves!
Following is a list of criteria that your civil engineering project topic must fulfill, for you to get a unanimous nod on your paper. While choosing, look out for these fundamentals in each civil engineering project topic and then pick out the topic most suited for you.
· Plagiarism alert- It may so happen that you have a civil engineering project topic ready with you, but a lot of research papers have already been published in that area. Your research paper is most likely to get rejected if you have nothing new to offer. In such a case, your only option is to drop that civil engineering project topic, and search for a new civil engineering project topic, because the thesis essentially requires you to add more information and knowledge to your field of study. You cannot copy the work already performed by another researcher. Your top priority should be to choose a cent percent unique and authentic civil engineering project topic, and then to do your study under it.
· Viability – If you are addressing a major problem through your civil engineering project topic and trying to provide solutions, you must do a little viability study to check that your answers are well-suited to the current background of the selected problem areas. For example, if you are coming up with possible ways to optimize the current multimodal transportation system, and your civil engineering project topic proposes to solve it by including aircrafts in every logistic system, it is not a viable solution, given the current infrastructure.
· Feasibility – A lot of doctoral candidates do not realize that writing a research paper does not end at selecting civil engineering project topic. It starts there. You will be required to conduct surveys, do research, engage with people, analyze, prepare reports, understand the statistics involved. If your civil engineering project topic requires thorough data collection and analysis, you should have the means to do the same. If you have no methods in place to carry out the required surveys, for example, then there is no use sticking to that topic. You need to have access to information regarding your chosen topic. So you must pick a civil engineering project topic where you can do your digging for data, otherwise, it will be over even before it starts.
Choosing the right Civil Engineering Project topic for your Research Paper
Here are some ways in which you can choose the right civil engineering project topic for your paper:
· Choose a problem, not a topic- Probably the best way to come up with a civil engineering project topic is to take an issue and solve it! If you are innovative enough and driven enough to serve society, you can use the skills you have developed over the years and contribute to society with your research paper.
· What is going on- When it becomes difficult to come up with a civil engineering project topic, you should look around you. Watch the news, read the current affairs, search for major civic issues that people are struggling with. It’s not easy to find faults, but it is possible if you keep abreast of all the changes happening in the economy. Scan your daily copy of the newspaper for new ideas and changes that can bring about a revolution in the way things are done.
· Choose a sub-field-There are a number of sub- categories under civil engineering project topics that can be taken up. Civil engineering encompasses a whole gamut of fields like:
o Environmental sustainability
o Material mechanics
o Construction industry
Being a civil engineering student, you must have been inclined to one of such categories. It is most prudent for you to choose a civil engineering project topic in your field of interest because your interest will keep you dedicated and diligent. It will keep you from distracting yourself. It will help you focus on the work more than the other fields in which you have little interest.
· Rendezvous with your seniors and guides- When in doubt regarding your civil engineering project topic, it is most logical to approach people who have had similar experiences. Those who have gone through the same journey will be able to guide you into selecting the most suited civil engineering project topic for your paper. A productive discussion with your seniors can help you think in the right direction. They will stir your thoughts in a way that might help you in viewing things from a different perspective. And sometimes perspective is all it takes to go from a rejected paper to a published paper!
· Visit library or search online-You need to consume more good quality papers on civil engineering project topics to produce an even better quality thesis yourself. Revisiting previous journals, books, research papers can help you foster new ideas of your own and come up with your civil engineering project topic. Nowadays, it has become easier to get your hands on published research work through the magic of the internet. Many websites provide a list of civil engineering project topics to choose from. However, it is advisable to not copy and paste the topics directly from these websites and incorporate your ideas into them as well to make your research unique and unmatched.
Given above is a comprehensive list of all the ways you can crop up your civil engineering project topic. You can try one of them or all of them simultaneously. Once you have selected your civil engineering project topic for your thesis, the real hard work will start and you will have to push your boundaries even more. All it takes is to let go of the tardiness, be extra exuberant and work towards your goal.