PhD in Life Science Subjects
PhD in Life Science Subjects, what’s that?
- PhD in Life Science Subjects is a doctorate course that deals with the in-depth study of living organisms.
- PhD in Life Science Subjects is a highly valuable degree.
- PhD in Life Science Subjects is a course of duration 3year to 5 years, which can be pursued by the students of the M.sc/M.Tech domain.
- PhD in Life Science Subjects includes various fields such as biology, ecology, microbiology, neuroscience, chemistry, physics, etc.
- At the end of the course, well-researched thesis writing is done by the students in order to get the degree of PhD in Life Science Subjects.
- PhD in Life Science Subjects course is the study of in-depth knowledge of organisms at all possible levels.
- The students in Life Science subjects are required to study all the organisms and microorganisms at the molecular level.
- PhD in Life Science Subjects course is a very vast course dealing with the smallest microorganism to the level of human beings.
- PhD in Life Science Subjects is basically a research and development program that helps in creating & spreading knowledge related to life science that ultimately adds to the life of humans and the environment.
- The average course fee of PhD in Life Science Subjects ranges from 50,000 to 4 lakh. It varies from private to government institutes & may differ amongst various universities.
- The leading recruiting firms are - Apple, Google, BP, Atkins, etc
Why go for PhD in Life Science Subjects -
- PhD in Life Science Subjects instills 3 vital skills in individual i.e. thinking out of the box, problem-solving techniques, Decision making at prompt timing.
- A huge contribution to the scientific world - by conducting new experiments & researches. Not every research leads to a successful end, so one must accept failures.
- The demand and employment for students of life science subjects is everlasting and is raising day by day
- Travel opportunities & abroad - Because of this research-related work one gets a lot to explore and travel. One can even go abroad for research, jobs, studies, etc.
- The pay scale for people with PhD in Life Science Subjects is relatively high. The pay scale of Life Science Subjects ranges from 2 lac - 10 lac provided your position and ability.
- There are many fields that can be chosen as a work field after one does a doctorate in life science subjects like agriculture, biotechnology, environment-related, food-related, etc.
Minimum Criteria for PhD in Life Science Subjects -
- PhD in Life Science Subjects can only be pursued if one has a postgraduate degree or M. Sc (masters in science) degree from any recognized institute.
- The minimum eligibility criteria for PhD in Life Science Subjects is 55% marks at the postgraduate level.
- No backlog/ supplementary in any subject is acceptable.
- Direct admissions in Life Science Subjects are possible only when the student has exceptional academic qualifications.
Admission procedure for PhD in Life Science Subjects -
- The admission process in PhD in Life Science Subjects is through an entrance exam which is further followed by a personal interview.
- Various colleges have their private exams for PhD in Life Science Subjects.
- Another way is the UGC net, GATE exam. To get a good college for PhD in Life Science Subjects one has to pass this exam.
- The date of examinations is notified through website, emails, or via test on registered mobile number.
- After the exam has been conducted, a cut-off list is released, which notifies the selection of candidates who have passed the examination.
- Further on the colleges will be allotted to the students according to their marks.
- The selected candidates will now have to appear for a personal interview.
- The selected individuals will then be given admission in respective colleges.
A brief on entrance examinations of PhD in Life Science Subjects -
- UGC NET - The National Eligibility Test for the post of assistant professor or junior research fellowship award in Indian colleges & universities.
Available in 84 subjects, conducted both offline & online, consists of 2 papers of 100 marks each, both in English & Hindi.
- GATE - The graduate aptitude test in engineering subjects & science is a test to analyze the understanding of students in respective subjects.
The exam paper consists of MCQs and numerical-based questions; every incorrect answer implicates negative marking.
The exam is conducted annually, mostly in the month of February.
- UGC CSIR NET - This is also a National eligibility test for bonafide Indian citizens.
It is an entirely computer-based examination.
Preparation for PhD in Life Science Subjects -
- One has to start with good reading habits. One has to keep a good hold on logical reasoning, good command of English, general knowledge & awareness, current affairs.
- Look for previous year exam papers of life science subjects in order to solve the questions smartly in a given time period.
- Time management has to be there in order to crack the entrance exam for life science subjects.
- Make your own strategies to solve the paper accurately and fastly.
- Go through the detailed syllabus of Life Science Subjects.
- Study smartly by making keynotes, important points, major topics, etc
- Practice tests & mock tests of Life Science Subjects should be attempted daily.
Overview of Course material for PhD in Life Science Subjects -
In life science subjects one has to study -
- Metabolism & Mineral nutrition,
- Molecular biology,
- Research & development-related subjects, etc.
Examinations are usually conducted Semester wise.
Some major subjects under PhD in Life Science Subjects are -
- PhD Computer science - A course of 3-year duration for the post-graduate students. It deals with teachings related to computer architecture, software development, web development, etc.
- PhD Anatomy - it is a 2 - 6 year course dealing mainly with living organisms.
- PhD Chemistry - This course deals with various chemical reactions taking place, their mechanism of the reaction, various thermodynamic processes, etc.
- PhD Physics - It deals with all the principles & laws and their application in the real world. It is basically related to discovering logic around every natural phenomenon. A very interesting course for those who are curious and observers.
Top colleges for PhD in Life Science Subjects in India are -
- Loyola College, Chennai
- St Xavier College, Kolkata
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Sacred Heart College, ernakulum
- St Xavier College, Mumbai
- Christ University, Bengaluru
Job opportunities after PhD in Life Science Subjects -
- Diverse sectors - PhD in Life Science Subjects bring along various job opportunities along with many designations in various sectors.
- Job Positions - After PhD in Life Science Subjects, One can get the position of product manager, analyst, consultant, researcher, etc according to your capabilities.
- Medical scientist - It deals with providing medical values in the health care domain.
PhD in Life Science Subjects vs health science -
Both the courses i.e life science subjects & health science are somehow similar but in health science subjects the career opportunities are more specific to educational background.
Also, the average course fees for life science subjects are more and so are the job opportunities.
Future scope after PhD in Life Science Subjects -
- Teaching in college/universities - one can opt teaching profession thereby educating others in the respective field.
- Jobs as a scientist in life science subjects related field.
- Lecturer post in life science subjects - One can become professor, lecturer, and later on head of the department by pursuing this profession.
- D.Sc (doctor of science) - One can further on add wings to the cap by pursuing a doctor of science.
Thus PhD in Life Science Subjects is a good idea if you wish to pursue your doctorate in life science subjects.